- 1 ts olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, peeled and diced
- 1 hot red chili, diced
- 3 garlic cloves finely minced
- 1 small diced and peeled red kuri squash (also known as Japanese squash, orange hokkaido, or uchiki kuri squash)
- 1 medium sized peeled sweet potato
- 2 small diced and peeled carrot
- 4 cups water (or 2 cups water and 2 cups chicken stock)
- 2TB ajvar (roasted red pepper paste)
- Salt and pepper
- crème fraiche, to serve
- fresh parsley, chopped, to serve
In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. When warm, add the onion and red chili and soften. (ca. 3 to 4 min). Add the minced garlic and continue to cook for 1/2 minute. Add the rest of the vegetables and cook for 2 minutes, stirring. Cover with the water or stock.
Add the avjar and season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft. Purée the soup. Add more stock or water if necessary.
To serve, add a teaspoon of crème fraiche, and parsley.