- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
- 1 ts. vegetable oil
- 1 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 1/3 15-oz. can light, unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 Tbs. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 small jalapeño, stemmed, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Purée tomatoes and ginger in blender or food processor until smooth and set aside.
Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook 30 seconds, or until just golden, stirring often. Add tomato mixture, coconut milk, coriander, cumin, turmeric and jalapeño. Simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in lentils, and simmer, partially covered, 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cilantro, and serve.