Sunday, January 9, 2011

Vegan Hearty Sauerkraut with Apple and Juniper Berries


I love sauerkraut like any fermented dish (say, Kimchee!). This is one of my favorite recipes -- sauerkraut with apple and juniper berries; typically you would pair it with a tasty sausage, but I am still going vegan. So, what to add for a 'meaty' flavor? I added cannellini beans, heated in a dollop of BBQ sauce. Say, yummo!

makes about 5-6 servings:
1 can or jar of Kuehne sauerkraut
1 small onion, diced (white and red onions both work)
1 ts grapeseed oil (or canola oil)
1 tart apple, diced (no need to peel it)
2-3 TB apple cider vinegar

Heat the oil in a heavy bottom pan and sautee the onion. Add the juniper berries and apple, toss, and saute for about 2-3 min. Now, add the sauerkraut, and mix with the other ingredients. Fill into a oven safe dish, cover with a lid or aluminum foil, and bake at 375F for about 45min. Alternatively, you can also cook it on the stove top, but on very low and cover to make sure it does not burn. Check for sufficient liquids. 

2 comments:

  1. Excellent! I adore sour kraut! I usually do pair it w turkey sausage but don't eat a lot of meat. This sounds so perfect, thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I nominated you as a stylish blogger: http://keepingupwithkatie.com/2011/01/11/stylish-blogger-award/
    Check it out!

    ReplyDelete