Thursday, February 10, 2011

Kale Chips



My relationship with kale is not very old, a year, maybe? The first encounter was not positive; I tried out curly kale in a smoothie, but with a non-vitamix blender, and the texture just curled me the wrong way. Last summer I started growing Tuscan kale, which I love. In the fall, I used curly kale again, but now with my beloved vitamix. This weekend I finally found Tuscan kale at Wholefoods (as well as frozen curly one!), and so my locally bought curly kale, waiting in the fridge, was ready for a new experiment: kale chips!

This just tells you if you read about something often enough on other blogs, you will try it out eventually ;-)

Kale chips:
1 bunch kale (tuscan or curly)
1/2 TB tamari
juice of 1/2 Meyer lemon
1 TB maple syrup
1 TB fruity olive oil


Preheat oven to 200F. 

Mix all the liquid ingredients in a bowl. De-stem the kale, and rip or cut the kale leaves into 2 inch sized pieces. Place a portion of the kale pieces in the bowl, and rub in the tamari mix in to the leaves until the kale is well coated. 

Line a baking sheet with alu foil, and spread out the 'massaged' kale on the sheet. Avoid overcrowding so that the kale is in one layer.

Bake for 30min. Remove from oven, and gentle remove the kale from the baking sheet, and turn around. Remove those that are crisp already. Place back in oven and bake for another 10-15min. Let cool and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment