Thursday, April 7, 2011

Garlicky Kale

Last time I perused the salad bar at   the Whole Foods Market, I tried the ‘garlicky kale’. I must admit I was not a big fan of raw kale before since its texture felt too coarse, but the very garlicky dressing made me forget all about it. Grabbing a large bunch of curly kale last time at the grocery store, it was time to recreate the recipe, and it came out amazingly well

  • 1/2 bunch curly kale, washed and padded dry
  • juice of one lemon
  • 1 TB extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 medium sized garlic cloves, grated
  • 1 TB Trader Joes' Champagne Pear Dressing
  • 1 TB fat reduced feta crumbles
  • pepper to taste

In a bowl, whisk all the marinade/sauce ingredients, and then rip the kale leaves into ‘chips’, discard the steams. Using your hands, mix in the marinade. Cover bowl with a lid, and let sit for about 1h in the fridge. Serve!

DSC-8224 DSC-8204

2 comments:

  1. I love Kale! But preferably when it's steamed just a bit. Otherwise, I think it's harder for me to digest.

    I want to try baking it sometime though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, the lemon, garlic and olive oil as well as rubbing the dressing into the leaves to coat them and let it sit for an hour actually 'cooks' the kale and changes its texture so that it is easier to digest without loosing any nutrients. But of course blanching them a bit will also work!

    ReplyDelete