Monday, July 18, 2011

The beets are back

Last weekend it was the first time I found beets at the farmers market; this week I even found golden beets. Today, I steamed both the red and golden beets to add them to salads throughout the week. I cleaned them again under some cold water, cut off the leaves (to be sauted later..) and the tips (to be composted) and cut the bigger red beets into 1/2 inch thick slices. The golden beets were too small so I kept them whole. I placed all the beets in a steamer inset, and added about 2 cups of water in the bottom of the pot. Once the water was boiling the steam basically gently cooked the beets; in 20 min they are soften to eat.

I recreated my favorite Bar Harbor salad, mixed greens, balsamic vinaigrette, red and golden beets, feta (or goat cheese) and pine nuts.

DSC_0152gr DSC_0105 DSC_0163gr

No comments:

Post a Comment