I missed the show on Foodtv, but I still was enthralled by the interesting twist Melissa D’Arabian added to the classic tabouli: make it Israeli couscous. I put my own twist on her inspiration: instead of plain Israeli couscous use the Trader Joes harvest grains, and added sweet gherkins which give the tabouli a nice crunch and light sweetness.
Israeli Couscous Tabouli made with Harvest Grains:
- 1/2 cup Trader Joes harvest grains (or plain Israeli couscous)
- 3/4 cup water or vegetable broth
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- 10 cherry tomatoes ripe tomatoes, diced
- 8 mini sweet gherkins, diced
Chop the mint, parsley and cilantro. In a glass storage/serving container, whisk the lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper, and add the cooled harvest grains, the chopped herbs, the tomatoes and gherkins, and gently stir. Chill for about 1h and serve.