Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Summer Vegan Paradise

Yesterday at the farmers market, suddenly zucchini appeared for the season, 2 for $1, or 5 for $2. I got five, and believe me, I picked the largest of the bunch. Today, improvising for lunch I looked at the bounty of zucchini in my fridge, and grilling came to mind. Sweet, charred, succulent zucchini slices…… but then I changed my mind and made the first ratatouille of the season. This is a recipe I truly came up with myself and love more than words can say: plenty of coarse chopped summer vegetables, steamed in their own juices with a hint of olive oil and anchovy filets to get them started and plenty of fresh rosemary, basil and thyme, a tad of fresh garlic and parmesan cheese added before serving! A splash of white wine does not hurt. It is the rustic version of ratatouille, but so flavorful!

So, lunch was sauted swiss chard with pine nuts and tofu, a slice of balsamic roasted beets and ratatouille.

DSC_1059

No comments:

Post a Comment