Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Vegan pesto

I had read about this pesto a few weeks ago on the EatLiveRun blog, and today when I walked by my bushy basil plants it was time to try it out. I made a few adjustments to the recipe (no breadcrumbs and no parmesan, more garlic and adding pine nuts), and the pesto is so godsmacking good I honestly had to restrain myself from eating the whole pesto pasta right then and there, hungry or not hungry. This pesto misses nothing on the original one (just the calories).
  • 1 cup packed basil leaves
  • 1 cup packed mache (or any other ‘filler’ leaves like baby spinach)
  • 4 garlic cloves
  • 2 T white miso (I use sodium reduced white mellow miso)
  • 1/4 cup pine nuts
  • fresh ground pepper
  • 1/8 cup water (more or less depending on desired consistency)
  • juice of 1/2 lemon (prevents that the pesto turns brown)
  • optionally (for non-vegan version): 1 oz of sheep's milk feta
Pack all ingredients in a food processor and start with about half of the water. Add tablespoon wise for desire consistency. Chill or use right away.

pesto

More photos and the rest of the recipe below. . .


Pasta with Pesto
  • 2 oz penne
  • 2 TB pesto
Cook the pasta al dente. Drain, and fill into a mixing bowl. Add the pesto, mix and serve warm or chilled as a salad.

Update: if you add fresh lemon juice the pesto will stay green and can be kept in the fridge for a few days.
 
pasta with vegan pesto

1 comment:

  1. This pesto is AWESOME! I only did 2 cloves of garlic so it wasn't too overwhelming for my 2 year old, and it was still YUM!

    ReplyDelete