Saturday, July 23, 2011

Yellow cucumber for cool summer food

They tried to make me go to rehab, and I said “No, no, no.” This song is stuck in my head, ever since I heard that Amy Winehouse was found dead this morning. I’ve always liked this song, an expression of Amy’s talent, voice, ebullience and her very own style. Now, remembering this song takes on a sad note: how true it became in the end. "Rest in peace" will probably never take on a truer meaning. 

Before I heard of the sad news I was surprised this morning that we had had some rain overnight, unexpected and unpredicted and so necessary. It had not rained in almost 4 weeks. It was overcast, much cooler, and I headed off the farmers market.  Single-mindedly I bought yellow zucchini (10 for $3) and a large bag of mixed greens with some edible flowers in them. Then I found yellow cucumbers. Yellow cucumbers? They remind be of summer squash and melons, so I had to try them.

The first dish I made was a yellow cucumber salad with Sicilian Lemon White Balsamic vinegar, salt and dill. Chilled! The second dish is a yellow cucumber tzatzki, the Greek summer dish, with Greek yogurt, grate cucumber, dill, salt, pepper and garlic. 

The summer heat is back, but cooling food is waiting. Eating, still humming, they tried to make me go to rehab and ……

yellow cucumber aalad

No comments:

Post a Comment