Friday, January 20, 2012

Avocado Kale Salad

I turned on the IPad with the Pandora station set to Etta James. At last…… my love has come along. Or so. I am not a huge fan of avocado despite its healthy fatty acids, but the Wholefoods salad bar has a massaged raw kale salad with avocado, tomatoes and onions, which I just love. A match made in heaven – raw kale and creamy raw avocado. I searched around for recipes, but in the end made up my own: peel and smash a 1/2 avocado in a bowl, add 1 TB of shoyu and the juice of 1 orange. Mash these ingredients well. Now add one bunch of curly kale, stripped off the stems and cut into bite-sized pieces, to the avocado mash and using a hand to massage the avocado into the kale leaves. The heaviness of the avocado weighs down  the kale immediately, but you can wait for a 1/2 hour for the avocado to soften the kale leaves.
Serve with chopped tomatoes and peeled cucumber and maybe some thinly sliced red onion. Bon appetite!

RIP, Etta James!
avocado
kale_salad

No comments:

Post a Comment