Friday, February 10, 2012

Raw Amazeballz

I came across an inspiration for tiny raw ballz that finally stuck. I never was too interested in any kind of cake balls or protein powder balls, but these are a nice --- whole food, raw, healthy snack, great to bring to Starbucks for a busy afternoon on the computer when the hunger pangs before dinner but you only have a choice of vanilla scones or sugary pink ball pops to hold you over (or you have to suck it up).

They are also quick to make (makes 9 small ballz):

  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 5 medjool dates (the organic ones at whole foods are amazing!)
  • 7 walnut halves, chopped
  • 1 TB chia seeds
  • zest of one orange
  • 1/2 TB maple syrup
  • 1/2 ts vanilla extract
  • 1 carrot, grated

Pour the rolled oats in the food processor and chop until finely ground. Remove the pit of the medjool dates, and chop them with a knife. Add piece by piece to the ground oatmeal flour (so that they distribute better). Process long enough that the mix starts to get sticky. Now add the remaining ingredients, and processes until the mix comes together (quite a sticky dough). Take small portions and roll them between your hands in a ball like shape. Store in the fridge! Enjoy!

1 amazeball: 54kcal

amazeballz

4 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I will have to try them! :D Do you think it would be possible to make them (in some way) with cocoa and coconut?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I actually thought about adding cacao nibs. The base that holds the balls together are the oats and the dates --- the rest is flexible as long as the proportions are ok and the mix doesn't get too dry. Cacao and coconuts sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds perfect. I love this kind of grab and go healthy snack for my hiking trips and to have on hand for healthy snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made these a few days ago and they were so, soooo yummy! My kids loved them too. I am going to post my very slightly adapted version and my photo's with links to your recipe.
    xo

    ReplyDelete