Thursday, February 23, 2012

Vegan Chia Waffles

With spring approaching it is time for brunches and…. waffles. I bought this great all-clad waffle maker a few years ago that makes thin, crispy waffles. This is a very basic vegan recipe that tastes fantastic -- a slight sweetness to it, crisp and tasty. It can be altered with walnuts nuts, blueberries or cacao nibs  (mixed in the dry ingredients). They also freeze well. 






































Vegan Chia Waffles (makes 6 waffles)
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 TB chia seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup nondairy milk (I used almond milk)
  • 1/2 cup applesauce
  • 1/2 ts vanilla extract
  • 1/2 ts liquid stevia
Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl, and mix the wet ingredients in a different bowl. Combine and mix until the waffle dough is without lumps.

Preheat waffle iron (typically, a green light goes on). Now spray with nonstick baking spray (it has some flour in it) (or wipe down with some oil). Cook waffles according to the waffle maker's instructions, which usually means putting about 1/4 cup batter on the iron, closing, and waiting for a light to go out. I baked mine longer than the light signal (about 4 min altogether so that they are on the crispy side). 

Make 6 waffles using 1/4 cup of waffle dough. 1 waffle, 90kcal.
 
vegan_waffles_dough_w

9 comments:

  1. I'm gonna have to try those, they look so good! It'll be my first food with chia in it hehe. Also, I really love your blog. You have great recipes that are both simple and delicious-looking. Thank you so much for everything, really :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hope you enjoy them! I am already on my second batch...

      Delete
    2. I cooked them this morning, they were so perfect: crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. Do you think it is possible to make them with whole wheat pastry flour and to add protein powder and ground flaxseed..? I'm just curious :) Thank you!

      Delete
    3. I am glad you liked them!

      Your changes should be fine (in baking using all-purpose flour or whole wheat pastry flour will make a difference, but for the waffles it should be ok). I made another batch with 1 cup all-purpose flour and 1/4 cup quinoa flour, the rest was the same, and they came out just fine.

      Let me know how they are!

      Delete
  2. Any suggestions for what I could substitute for the apple sauce?? I don't have any but want to make this tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could add 1 TB of canola oil, or just leave it out. Good luck!

      Delete
  3. Do you prepare your chia seeds in water first?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome recipe! I love these waffles on their own or sandwiched with some almond butter.

    Thanks so much for posting! This is definitely a keeper and we make it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These turned out surprisingly great, and I can attest to the efficacy of the applesauce-oil switch. A little less healthy, perhaps, but still great! Thank you :)!!

    ReplyDelete