The original recipe calls for a vegan Russian dressing and horseradish mayonaise, but I left out the Russian dressing and used plain fat reduced veganaise since I did not want to buy all the ingredients for one sandwich. --- I made slight changes to the preparation of the marinated tempeh so that the process is a bit simpler. (In hindsight, I should have reduced the baking time or temperature ;-) it was still delicious although extra crispy).
Marinated ‘corned beef’ tempeh:
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice berries
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon whole cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup fresh organic beet juice (see my note below if you cannot find or make fresh beet juice)
- 4 tablespoons maple or agave syrup
- pinch of cayenne
- 1/3 cup unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons organic tamari
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Note: I could not find fresh beet juice, so I mixed the juices of 1 can of canned beets and a 1/3 grated raw beet. I also left out the olive oil of the original recipe.
Since I used waffles for the sandwich, a baked version would work better than a pressed sandwich. I built the sandwich the following way: waffle bottom, marinated tempeh, veganaise, daiya mozzarella, and sauerkraut. Top with 1/2 waffle. Bake in oven at 4ooF for 15min or until cheese is gooey (I used 430F, which left the waffles slightly burnt).