Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The skinny on balsamic vinaigrette

I use my home-made balsamic vinaigrette on most of my salads. However, I have a little trick. So, here it is – the skinny on an excellent home-made vinaigrette.

Most vinaigrettes use a ratio of 2/3s olive oil and 1/3 vinegar. This makes sense if the vinegar is extremely tart, like red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar, however it does not apply (in my opinion) for really good, aged, sweet (expensive) balsamic vinegar. So, when I make my balsamic vinaigrette, I use a ration of 7/8 balsamic vinegar and 1/8 olive oil. The flavor is in the balsamic vinegar afterall.
  • 1 cup very good, smooth, at least 8 year aged balsamic vinegar (I use Fini or Fiore's Black Cherry Balsamic Vinegar)
  • 1-2 TB excellent extra-virgin olive oil (currently, I used a price-winning Australian olive oil I got at Wholefoods)
  • 1 TB grainy mustard (Maille recommended)
  • 1 TB honey
  • 1 garlic clove, microplaned
Add all ingredients in a vinaigrette bottle (or simply a jar with a tightly closing lid) and shake vigorously. Keep chilled in the fridge, and serve for salad. 

skinny_vinaigrette
vinaigrette

No comments:

Post a Comment