I had plans for the remaining cooked fiddleheads: a pasta dish – spaghetti with vegan pesto. Then I found a Thai curry with fern recipe in the Saveur Magazine. I think I might have to buy some more…..
Vegan Pesto Spaghetti with Fiddleheads
Vegan Pesto (makes several servings).
- 1 cup packed basil leaves
- 1 cup packed mache (or any other ‘filler’ leaves like baby spinach)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 T white miso (I use sodium reduced white mellow miso)
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- fresh ground pepper
- 1/8 cup water (more or less depending on desired consistency)
- juice of 1/2 lemon (prevents that the pesto turns brown)
- optionally (for non-vegan version): 1 oz of sheep's milk feta
Pack all ingredients in a food processor and start with about half of the water. Add tablespoon wise for desire consistency. Chill or use right away.
Vegan Pesto Spaghetti with Fiddleheads (1 servings):
- 2 oz spaghetti, cooked according to instructions
- 2 TB vegan pesto
- 1/2 ts butter
- 1/2 ts chili flakes
- 1 small garlic cloves
- 1 cup cooked fiddleheads
Heat the butter with the garlic and chili flakes until butter is lightly browned and garlic sauteed (ca. 1 min). Add the fiddleheads, and saute in the spiced butter, mix until all the butter is absorbed. Add the spaghetti, 3 TB cooking water and 2 TB pesto to the pan. Mix all ingredients and heat through for about 1 min. Serve!