Friday, July 27, 2012

Olympic ready lunch

Today, I was done with work around 2pm but it was too late to go anywhere scenic and be back to see the opening ceremony of the Olympics. Also, I was slightly too lazy to drive anywhere too far. Browsing some stores instead, I realized I had a real hankering for a bit of vacation. Far away from everyday life and everyday routine, instead a view on the ocean, breezy air, foreign coasts, and tasty food.  And feeling I never have to come back to chores. At least not for a while. But no such luck. One more week to wait. At last I decided to enjoy hanging out in the garden and download a new book to my kindle app on the IPad.

Lunch was goodness on a plate – Olympic games ready. When I buying baby beets at the farmers market, the baby beets always come with their baby greens. I am not too much of a fan of beet greens on their own, but this combination is very tasty: beet greens, kale and quinoa with a dash of pomegranate molasses!  ---- Saute a 1/3 of a small diced onion in some olive oil and add the chopped beet greens and same amount of kale. Immediately add ca 1/4 cup of white wine, or water or some miso dissolved in water to wilt the greens and kale down for about 5 min. Then, add a 1/2 cup of cooked quinoa, a grated clove of garlic, and a dash of pomegranate molasses and some salt and pepper. Extremely tasty and filling --- with all the fiber. Optionally, I sometimes add baby bok choy, pine nuts, or goat cheese or feta (or tofu).

beet_greens_quinoa

No comments:

Post a Comment