Note: Instead of the 1 1/2 cups of butternut squash soup you can also use simply roasted butternut squash.
Vegan Roasted Butternut Squash Pasta Alfredo
(Makes 2 larger servings)
- 1 1/2 cup roasted butternut squash soup (or fresh roasted butternut squash)
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1/3 cup soaked cashew nuts
- 1 TB nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 TB mellow white miso, sodium reduced
- Rest of Alfredo sauce:
- 1 ts olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, quartered and thinly sliced using a mandoline
- 2 cloves garlic, microplaned
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, thinly sliced
- 1/3 ts of grated nutmeg
- 1/2 TB maple syrup
- Several dashes fresh black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 4 oz penne pasta, cooked al dente
- for garnish: fresh sage, pepittas or sunflower seeds, dried thyme
Pour all the ingredients for the sauce base into a food processor (best: Vitamix for extra smooth texture) and puree. In a pan, heat the olive oil, add the onions and saute until slightly brown. Add the garlic, and saute for about another 1 min. Add the white wine, and reduce for ca. 1 min. Now add the base butternut squash base cream, and gently stir in. Add the sage, nutmeg, and maple syrup, and simmer on medium-low for a few minutes until slightly reduced. Add salt and paper to taste.
Add in the cooked pasta, and stir until the pasta is coated, and heat through for about 1 min. Serve with fresh sage, roasted squash seeds (caramelized!) and some dry thyme. Enjoy!