The Carrot Soup
(makes 4 servings)
- 1 pound organic carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1/2 red onion, small diced
- 1/2 TB butter
- 3 cups fresh pressed carrot juice
- 1/2 ts dried thyme
- 1/4 ts dried ginger
- salt to taste (or 1/2 ts Rapunzel organic vegetable bouillon)
- optional: 1/4 cup baked butternut squash or any other baked squash
In a large, heavy pot, melt the butter and sauté the onion until slightly brown. Add the raw carrots, and sauté for about 1 min. Add the carrot juice, the thyme and ginger, and bring to a simmer. Close with a lid, and simmer on low gently for about 20-30 min until the carrots are very tender.
Puree with an immersion blender in the pot, or take the soup off the stove, and cool. Once cooled, pour into blender and puree. Reheat before serving and garnish with baked squash, goat cheese crumbles or a dash of creme fraiche and chopped hazelnuts. Bon appetite!