Friday, December 14, 2012

Tonight the lights were out

It's been a busy day and in the morning I saw the alarming news that there had been a shooting at an elementary school in Connecticut. It said it was over and the gunmen dead. I thought, lucky. I was busy with work chasing a deadline, and only had time to check the news again by 5pm when the devastating headline had changed to that the shooting had 27 victims, mostly small children. I thought of all the children of my friends and neighbors, and of the toddlers and babies of the blogs I read daily and I felt devastated, tearing up. How can this happen? How can this happen in this country? There was just this unfathomable mass shooting at a movie theater.

I listened to the reports on NPR, and drove through a similar small quaint, rural New England town where everyone knows each other and kids are safe. A town where everyone believes that something like this can never happen.

I drove through my neighborhood, the streets leading up to my house, and realized that many of my neighbors had not turned on their christmas lights tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment