Thursday, March 14, 2013

Reader Swan Song

Yesterday, I logged into Google Reader, and there was the message of its impeding death. Why? I thought. This such a useful tool. For a second I thought back when I clicked all the blogs I read individually to switching over to using Bloglines and then to Google Reader. Now, it’s bye-bye google reader. What to use next? I settled on Netvibes. In its reader + expanded post view it is fairly similar to Reader, easy and fast browsing through posts. However, same drawback as Reader: no page hits on the blogs. :-(     Added advantage: netvibes did not crash with the onslaught of new users (unlike NewsBlur).

Transition to Netvibes from Google Reader:

  • In Google reader click on the wheely type icon to the right, and click on Reader help.
  • Next page, select “How can I download my reader data?” which takes you to Google takeout.
  • Click on “Create archive” to export your subscriptions as a ZIP file
  • Unzip the saved file to your desktop (you can download a zip software version for free)
  • Go to Netvibes, click on “Add content” then the tiny “OPML: Import”, underneath the orange feed icon. “Choose File” and select the “subscriptions.XML” file you just unzipped
  • Click on “Import”.
  • Done.

The feeds are organized in folders like in Google.

No comments:

Post a Comment