Friday, June 28, 2013

Mark Bittmann’s chickpea burgers

When I saw Mark Bittman with his own show on the Cooking Channel, I knew that I can trust his recipes – he tries it out and eats it himself. This is a go-to recipe for veggie burgers, make it with beans, lentils or chickpeas as base, and add the onion, chili powder and the oatmeal. I made the recipe and decided it needs more of a kick….. I added a middle eastern touch, with a tablespoon of sumac, a tablespoon of dukkah, and 3 tablespoons of Stonewall’s Ginger Teriyaki Grille Sauce (BBQ sauce would also work). Instead of frying them, I baked them in the oven. They are fabulous!

chickpea_ burgers
Middle eastern chickpea burgers
  • 2 cups of cooked white or black chickpeas (I used black ones, available in India stores)
  • 1 onion, peeled, cut into chunks
  • 1/2 cup oatmeal (I used Trader Joes hot cereal multigrain flakes)
  • 1 TB chili powder
  • 1 TB sumac
  • 1 TB dukkah (Trader Joes!)
  • 2-3 TB Stonewall Kitchen Ginger Teriyaki Grille sauce (or Spicy BBQ sauce)
  • 1-2 ts salt
  • 1-4TB of chickpea cooking liquid or water
Preheat oven to 375F.
Mix the chickpeas, onion, oatmeal, spices and salt in a food processor until well mixed. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray, and form patties with the mixture. Baked on 375F for 20min, flip and cook another 15min.
serve as a veggie burger.

No comments:

Post a Comment