Wednesday, August 28, 2013

A bucket of beets

This is the time of the year when some of my favorite foods are available in abundance at the farmers market: tomatoes, zucchini, beets, and hot peppers. Buckets of it, at dumping prices. I brought home a 5 pound bag of beets for $5, and today I roasted about a third of it. Simply, cutting the ends off, halving them and lining them up, cut side down on a baking sheets, baking at 375F for 40 min. They are sweet, dense and all they need is a bit of salt or parmesan cheese.  In the past, I used to roast them with some balsamic vinegar and/or beef stock and a foil cover, or even wrap them in foil to steam them, but they become too soggy for my taste. Baking them unwrapped in the oven makes them supersweet and dense.

In the freezer, a bag of chanterelles captured my attention. I had just recently frozen them, but I was ready for luxurious chanterelles in butter, onion and sour cream saute. Vegetables at their best.

Kath also has good tips to prepare tasty vegetables today.

chanterelles_beets

No comments:

Post a Comment