Thursday, November 28, 2013

Gobble, gobble --- today the Thanksgiving turkey is pardoned

Years ago I was invited to a friends’ Thanksgiving, it had one caveat, it would be a vegetarian thanksgiving. I secretly winced “how can this be Thanksgiving, no turkey!?” but it was one of the best Thanksgiving meals I’ve ever had. Instead of turkey we had a delicious nut roast, and  I encountered roasted parsnips for the first time, starting a parsnip love affair. After a meal of all kinds of other vegetarian deliciousness I felt like a sparrow, not like that stuffed turkey on another table..

Now, I have been a vegan for a few years, probably a Mark Bittman vegan (VB8 – vegan before 8pm, although I am more of a V6D, vegan for 6 days out of 7), and the thought of no turkey does not induce immediate regret and feelings of missing out. Just a tiny tinkle of a tear, missing more the whole show around it, the all day cooking, the smells and aromas of broiled turkey and herbs de provence, the cocktails while waiting, the big ahhs and ohhhs when dinner is finally served. But the turkey is pardoned this year.

5d458e6596e81c999b80781c9ee887dc

Check here for vegetarian/vegan Thanksgiving ideas:

No comments:

Post a Comment