Friday, February 21, 2014

Lazy day vegan tempeh chili

Yesterday, during my social media marketing attack, I also found a nice looking tempeh chili recipe. I realized I did not even have half of the ingredients handy so I improvised with my own ‘vision’ of it (“Tempeh in chili!”). As said, I was really lazy (and tired) so shortcuts were ok. Store-bought pasta sauce? Yep. BBQ sauce? Definitely. A can of beans instead of dried beans cooked from scratch? Had to be good enough. The result, on the other hand, is fabulous. And not just because I was hungry and tired.

tempeh_chilli_2LR

Lazy day vegan tempeh chili (2-3 portions)

  • 1 medium sized sweet or regular onion, finely chopped
  • 1/2 TB canola oil
  • 1/4 cup water
  • half regular sized can of navy beans, rinsed thoroughly
  • half jar of your favorite store-bought tomato sauce  (I like Prego light) or a half can of Amy’s chunky tomato soup
  • 1/2 block of tempeh
  • 1/2 TB ground cumin
  • 12 TB chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
  • 1 ts smoked paprika
  • 1 TB light agave
  • 1-2 TB bbq sauce
  • a few dashes of hot sauce
  • If you use a can of regular beans they are so salty you don’t need any other salt; if using low-sodium beans, add salt to taste
  1. In a 2 quart bottom heavy sauce pan with a lid, heat the oil and saute the onion until browned. Once browned, add a 1/4 cup of water (or broth) to loosen the (tasty) brown bits from the pot bottom and scrap them off (into the onions).
  2. Add the beans,tomato sauce, spices, agave and sauces, and grate in (or crumble in, more realistic) the tempeh.
  3. Stir, and simmer on medium heat with closed lid for about 20-30min. Stir occasionally.
  4. Serve!

tempeh_chilli_1LR

No comments:

Post a Comment