Wednesday, July 2, 2014

First garden pesto of the summer

The thunderstorms passed elsewhere. We just a trickle of rain. It is still hot and humid. Today’s dinner was the first pesto from basil in the garden. This time I planted a columnar Greek basil, which tastes like basil, but grows more like a bush. I took out my mini chopper, added a few garlic gloves, a heaping spoon of miso, a tablespoon of olive oil, two handfuls of mixed lettuce to bulk it up, pine nuts and some grated parmesan cheese, and churned away (ok, it needed a few tablespoons of water, too). Cooking pasta, added frozen peas at the end, for a half minute and dinner is ready. Simple summer dinners….

pesto_pastaLR

Since all my appetite is geared towards hydration in these heat, I made a peach mint smoothie today, with peaches frozen from last year’s harvest, almond milk, and fresh mint, some stevia. A great mix with a refreshing taste. And still chilled on the go…

carrot_mint_smoothieLR

No comments:

Post a Comment