The striped beet salad I had the other day was so great I had to recreate the recipes. --- I found striped beets at Chase’s Daily in Belfast and the rest is readily available.
Striped Beet Salad with Apricots, Pistachio and Basil Vinaigrette
- 2 medium sized striped beets (they look lighter than regular beets, more pink), washed and scrubbed
- 1 cup of dried apricots
- 1/4 cup of chopped pistachios
- salt to taste
- basil vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup pink chive vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 3 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 1 TB dijon mustard
- 1 garlic cloves, microplanned
- 1 teaspoon runny honey
- about 6 basil leaves, rolled up like cigar and thinly sliced
- cup of dried apricots
Make the vinaigrette first: mix all ingredients and shake in a container with a lid.
Slice all the apricots into thin slices and then the slices into small cubes.
Salad: use a mandoline and slice the beets into really thin slices (as thin as you can). Lay a layer of beets on the bottom of a serving plate. Add a fourth of the apricots, a tablespoon of the pistachios and some of the basil vinaigrette. Also, add a sprinkle of salt.
Repeat 3—4 times until all the beet slices are stacked, and pour the remaining vinaigrette over the top layer of apricots and pistachios. Cover with aluminum foil, chill and let marinate over night.
Serve as side or salad.