Baked Vegan Quinoa Cakes (adapted from here)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 tablespoons ground flax + 6 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats, ground into a flour
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup cooked beluga lentils
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup cruciferous mix from Trader Joes (or use baby spinach, Swiss chard or kale), finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon runny tahini paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt, or to taste
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Mix the ground flax seed and the water in a small cup, set aside for 5 minutes to thicken.
Combine all ingredients together in a large bowl, including the flax mixture and the 1.5 cups cooked quinoa. Stir well until the mixture comes together. Shape mixture into 1/4-cup patties with wet hands. Pack tightly so they hold together better. Place on baking sheet. Clean hands between forming patties, it makes it easier to shape them.
Bake for 15 minutes, then turn the cakes over, and bake for another 8-10 minutes until golden and firm.
Wait for 5 minutes for the patties to cool, and then enjoy!
Leftovers keep in the fridge for up to 5-6 days.