Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Home-made kefir with chia seeds and garden peaches

After the last hooray of summer this weekend with temperatures in the upper 80s fall has arrived. It is much colder, overcast, drizzling and makes me yearn steaming tea and snuggly cats.

Steaming_tea_cup

The trees still have most of their leaves, in green, orange and red when I look out of my kitchen window into the garden, but by the end of the month there will be barren trees, naked villages and Halloween howling through town.

This year my peach tree only had 4 peaches. They hung high up in the tree, but fortunately they fall down when they are ripe. 2 of them became a wonderful breakfast last week.

kefir_2SJ

I am also making kefir at home with store-bought cultures, which is less expensive around here than to buy kefir directly. It simple enough to do: boil milk, cool it to room temperature, mix a cup of the cooled milk with the cultures, mix with the rest of the milk and let sit for 24h in room temperature. Next day it has a yogurt like consistency. I pour it in a milk bottle and keep in the fridge for about a week.

kefir_1SJ

Kefir is rather tart so I mix it with some honey, add chia seeds and the home-grown peach sliced. A wonderful light, most-home made and guaranteed unknown substance free breakfast.

kefir_3SJ

kefir_5sj

kefir_4SJ

No comments:

Post a Comment