In this house, we love our crackers. The cats their cat treats, for which they will jump, run, cajole, and snuggle, and the humans like their pretzels and raw nuts, but how about spicing them up? This is a recipe for an exquisite, home-made mix of spicy, aromatic, crunchy nuts and pretzels that are slightly sweet with a hint of cacao. Also perfect for a home-made Christmas gift.
Spiced Pretzel and Nuts Mix
- 2 cups raw nuts (e.g. almonds, pecans, hazelnuts and cashews)
- 2 TB butter, melted
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 ts ground cinnamon
- 1/3 ts ground allspice
- 1/3 ts ground cloves
- 1 ts ground dry ginger
- 1/4 ts ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon cacao powder
- 3 TB maple syrup
- 2 ts kosher salt
- 3 cups unsalted pretzel twists
- Heat the oven to 350° F. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment. Spread the nuts mixture in an even layer and roast for about 10 minutes, stirring the nuts mixture halfway through, just until the nuts are lightly roasted and become fragrant.
- While the nuts are toasting, mix the brown sugar, spices, salt, maple syrup, and melted butter in a large bowl. Pour in the warm nuts and stir until coated.
- Add in the pretzels and stir until carefully until blended and coated. Spread the mixture back onto the lined cookie sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, stirring twice during baking.
- Remove the mixture from the oven and let cool completely.
- Let everything cool completely before storing it in airtight glass containers.