- food that was prepared in a factory a long time ago
- food that waits on a shelf to be bought and eaten, and therefore contains many chemical food additives to keep it shelf stable
- food that contains ingredients that were partially prepared in a factory (think pasta sauce in a home-made pasta dish)
- factory prepared bread that never goes bad
- food that has a wrapper
- food that comes with a plastic tray and is heated in the microwave
- fast food and many chain restaurants foods (they get it shipped from the mother ship).
- food that no longer has any enzymes or vitamins because it was cooked eons- ago.
This is an interesting article that links two common food additives, i.e. emulsifiers, to weight, immune system and digestive health. The simple story is that the emulsifiers mess with the gut bacteria and the mucus that protects the gut, so that the bacteria can get to the gut and chronic inflammation (aka colitis) can start for people who are predisposed. The emulsifiers also reduce the ‘good bacteria’ diversity in the gut. The variety of good bacteria exploit all the nutrients in the food for the body; if the body does not some of them, it will signal “give me something to eat, I need those nutrients’. This can lead to feeling hungry when you do not need the calories, but the nutrients….. They tested heir hypothesis with mice, and tests with humans will start. Even in very low concentrations, the food additives can lead to metabolic problems, meaning they gained weight and get colitis.
Here is a link to the original article in Nature.
So, there we go. Scientific proof that the earth is round and food additives lead to medical consequences for humans (and pets). There are so many things that the food industry conveniently does not want us to know about convenience food. We also sometimes think it is more convenient to ignore it. But, it is up to you.