Friday, May 8, 2015

“Things I am thinking about” Friday

Normally, this is a “things I am loving” list Friday, but this week it is more a Things that I’ve thought about this week Friday.

The weather has been so beautiful, warm and sunny that it made me forget the long winter in one swoop. It is cooling down a bit and there will be a few days of rain but that is ok because the wildfire danger with the dry brush and leaves from last season is very high at the moment. In one week the world went from naked and brown to green lawns and budding green trees. Summer, basically. It is graduation weekend, the good weather might even stick around long enough for commencement photos, and then the town will be empty of undergrads and it will return to its summer languishing pace.

The farmers markets are officially starting again, riding through town brings the aroma of steak on the grill to my nose, and graduation and good-bye-for-the-summer get-togethers happen everywhere.

Painted in Waterlogue

  • Yesterday, I figured out how to survive Chipotle. I always wondered what to order at Chipotle now that we have one that does not give me a whole day’s worth of calories in one meal. Yesterday, I figured it out: I ordered the “kids create your own meal”. It has 2 small corn or flour tortillas, and three choices -- I chose black beans, the chicken and hot salsa. It also comes with fruit or chips and apple juice or milk. I made my own burritos with the ingredients, and it was just the right amount of (very tasty!) food. Nothing to take home, or throw away, and it also costs only half and only has half the calories of a day’s worth of food (meal alone: ca 500kcal).
b3488f06c579ee4a6b804c61b1c2dff8
  • I lived in California, but it has never looked like this. The draught is real. Now, I wonder what people will do in another 5 years. Will everyone move out of California?
  • How to figure out if you should keep something in your life, or if it needs to go. “Does this give me joy?” It applies to more than socks. It can even be applied to people, and jobs.
  • A very good friend of mine has recently being diagnosed with cancer. It is difficult to put myself in her shoes, not during the initial shock and also not when the shock has worn off and the treatment takes a very long time, and everyone else has gone back to normal and their own routine while she learns to live with cancer (for right now). How to not be insensitive and say the wrong thing. These cards are about being supportive of people with cancer.
  • My heart goes out to Sheryl Sandberg, the COO of Facebook, mother of 2 kids, author of Lean In, and recent widow, loosing a true partner in Dan Goldberg. It struck a core with me when she turned the devastation around and writes that she is grateful for the 11 years she did have. She write “Dave and I did not get nearly enough time together. But as heartbroken as I am today, I am equally grateful. Even in these last few days of completely unexpected hell – the darkest and saddest moments of my life – I know how lucky I have been. If the day I walked down that aisle with Dave someone had told me that this would happen – that he would be taken from us all in just 11 years – I would still have walked down that aisle. Because 11 years of being Dave Goldberg’s wife, and 10 years of being a parent with him is perhaps more luck and more happiness than I could have ever imagined. I am grateful for every minute we had.”. It was a good reminder for me to be grateful every day, for simply that it is a good day. In the evening, I ask my cats how their day was, did they have fun, did they see squirrels at the window, did they play chase with their siblings while I was at work, did they just eat a tasty dinner? I rough-house with them for a while which they love (because they are indoor cats and at some time they have to play some cat and mouse). Then I look at them, and I am so grateful that they are seemingly healthy and happy like they’ve been for 12 years, because I know one day this will not be the case, but today was a good day in their lives. Because, that is all there is to life --- being in the moment, and being aware of how precious this moment is, even if it is the most banal day. And to not be completely caught up in the chase of my next form of happiness in the future, and let this slip by because it was just like the day before, or many others before.

No comments:

Post a Comment