Friday, July 10, 2015

Cause I'm going to Strawberry Fields

These week I went strawberry picking. Everything is rather late this year because of the never-ending winter, and the strawberries never quite made it. The pick-your-own places closed almost as soon as they opened because there was not enough to pick. After a week of sunshine, they opened again. “Why not.” I thought, local Maine strawberries. They are $3.50 if you pick yourself, and otherwise $6 per quart.

strawberry_picking-1
I arrived at the farm, got some containers. “To the left” she said “you can pick anywhere you want, but it is slim pickin’s.”

strawberry_picking-1-2
The farm does not believe in mono-culture and instead in the benefits of weeds being the good soil for next year. Just…..“Where are the strawberries?”
strawberry_picking-1-4
Despite the ‘slim pickin’s” I just took me about a half hour of foraging to fill 3 quarts (and probably eating 1).
strawberry_picking-1-6
strawberry_picking-1-7
strawberry_picking-1-8
strawberry_picking-1-9
strawberry_picking-1-10
Strawberry Fields Forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment