Sunday, January 10, 2016

Pasta making, continued–fresh noodle soup heaven

I have a house full of any kitchen gadget imaginable so I am a bit wary if a new one attracts my attention and I try to talk myself out of it. The last one that ‘got me’ was the Philips pasta maker before Christmas. I guess it was the 20% off coupon and Christmas together. At a delicatessen store I picked up two bags of Italian “OO” flour, an extra fine all purpose durum flour, specifically for pasta, and I am already into the second bag. There were days when I had pasta for lunch and for dinner.  I must have some Italian blood flowing through my veins.

So far I tried most of the pasta shapes (beside the ‘lasagna’), and ordered 2 more: angel hair and parpadella, the extra wide noodles.
 
My favorite dishes are still fresh noodles with a simple tomato sauce and the second favorite: fresh noodle soup. It is so easy and so much better with fresh noodles: a pot full of water (or broth, home-made would be great), some bouillon,  some thin cut daikon radish, carrot stripes, edamame, maybe Tuscan kale, a few strands of saffron, and in 10 minutes noodle soup heaven is done.  I pour some miso on the bottom of the bowl, dilute it with some hot broth and pour in the rest of the soup.

Noodle soup heaven.

phillips_pasta-2_rigatoni



 phillips_pasta-2_tagliatelle
phillips_pasta-2_soup
phillips_pasta-2_tagliatelle_soup

Fresh Noodle Soup
(for one)
  • 2 oz of fresh made pasta
  • 3-4 cups of water
  • 1/2-1 teaspoon of bouillon (e.g. Rapunzel vegetable bouillon)
  • 3 slices of daikon, cut into stripes
  • 1 carrot, peeled, cut in stripes or cubes
  • handful frozen edamame
  • handful of fresh or frozen chopped kale
  • any other vegetable you like: broccoli, cauliflower, corn, cooked beans, etc.
  • few strands of saffron
  • 1 teaspoon of miso paste
Put the cold water in a pot on the stove and heat until boiling. Add in all the ingredients beside the miso, and turn down the heat to medium heat. Simmer for 10min. Remove from stove.
In serving bowl, dilute the miso with 3-4 TB of hot broth. Pour soup into bowl and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment