The long weekend is over and the sunshine is back. Besides one day, it was rather cold and gloomy, and most people resorted to the first rule of long weekends: shopping. I had some stuff to do around the house and then baked a lemony ricotta cake which was to die for (people went back again and again to cut off another small slice, it was so addictive). Accidentally, I overbake it a bit but it added to the flavor with a bit of a dark ‘crust’ almost and the moist, lemony, sweet interior.
Lemony Ricotta Bundt cake
- 1 stick unsalted butter At room temperature
- 8 oz part skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- dash of orange extract
- dash of vanilla extract
- zest of 1 large, organic, untreated meyer lemon (save rest for glaze)
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1.5 Teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
For The Lemon Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- juice of half lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour the bundt pan.
- In a large mixer bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the ricotta cheese and blend well. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well between each. Add the extracts and lemon zest and mix until fully combined.
- Add the sliced almonds and gently mix in.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and soda.
- Add the dry ingredients in several smaller parts, mixing just until incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spoon as needed.
- Bake 40-45 minutes, or until the cake tester comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for at least 15 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
- Whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth and thick.
- Drizzle the lemon glaze over the top of the cake.
- Let the glaze set for 30 minutes and then cut into wedges and serve.
I poured the cake batter into a regular 10 cup bundt form (the amounts are for a 6 cup bundt cake pan), and it came out like a large ring with smaller slices, just right for the afternoon coffee.