I am coming full circle: finally, I uploaded all the photos from my tea towel stamping adventure. It started out with store bought stamps and the perfect summer aqua.
….and French provincial looking tea towels (I have a thing for the Provence).
But what I really wanted was a tea towel with tropical leaves. After much deliberation of how to find leaves, I did the obvious – check out Home Depot.
The tricky question was: how to transfer the design on the linoleum block? First, I pressed the leaves flat in a book. Then, I photographed them and thought I could transfer the photo outline to the block. In the end, I was too lazy to print out the photo. Instead, I glued the leaves to a piece of paper, and with a tracing pencil traced the leaves’ outline. Then, turned the paper around and traced the outline again, so that some of the original tracing would rub off on the linoleum block. Afterall, it has to be a negative-positive design. To be honest, there was only the faintest outline, and I made up the rest.
With an hour of evening sun on my desk and caring about nothing else in the world I carved the leaf design into the linoleum block. I was so in trance I got it done in one go.
A few days later, it was time to stamp. First, a few test stamps.
Then, the real thing.
It was not perfect, but it is hand-made by me.
And then, just as I imagined it…. Below is Tracy’s original inspiration that set it all off. I still love her rounder, softer shapes of the leaves more, and the white line in the middle. Time to go back to the stamp, and make some more changes. But for the first try, it was very good and rewarding.