Monday, May 30, 2016

Sunshine in my pocket

The day started off with blue skies and bright sunshine. Everyone in the neighborhood was on the clock: things needed to get done before the scorching heat of 90F would set in around noon, kicking off the Memorial weekend. I tied on my running shoes, put on my old Sony headphones that don’t fall out of my ears when I run, turned on “Can’t stop the feeling” and set off, finally feeling the easy spring in my step again when I run, after getting back into the routine of running for a week.

After mowing the lawn by 10am, I jumped in the shower and put on actual clothes for the day. A long summer weekend feels like getting handed a cocktail --- promises  of unending fun. I tried not to get carried away, skipped the deals in the stores, and settled for lunch at Chipotle.

Enjoying my late lunch, bathing in the little summer traffic that reminded me of life in the big city, I realized I did not have plans, really, for the rest of the day, so I meandered back home, and unleashed myself on the chaise lounge with a book. 

austin_kleon

I aggregated a whole stack of new books since I started listening to the “Creative Live Genius” series. I usually don’t get around to read books, my hack are audiobooks in the car, but it was so interesting, how could I not to. Amazon, tsha-tshing, and another book on the way. One side of me says, wisely, with a wagging finger  “No! No more books! You are not reading them!” and the other side says, “Well, maybe, I make time in my day. I tone down my to-do list, and make room for my to-be list.”

And so, this stack is waiting, for me to make good on my promise.

Summer is a tough. Living in Maine, I feel I wait all winter long for warm weather, for long, sunny days. Instead of life being dictated by work, it belongs to my own direction again. With unstructured days on my hands, I feel like a kid in the candy store and can’t decide what to do, maybe just all of it?  Summer FOMO sets in.

But there will be another summer, and I will  miss out on some stuff. I just need to accept it. And then I can focus on what I really want to do. Today.

ella_luna

(by Ella Luna, Instagram)

No comments:

Post a Comment