Thursday, July 21, 2016

Cucumber Zucchini Salad

It is summer and we are in the middle of it. We can’t remember how it was that there was not summer yet and cannot imagine it ever to end. The best of time.

I am a bit lazy when it comes to produce shopping these days. When I go to the farmers market, I stock up, but I have a hard time convincing myself to go to the grocery store. But I love English cucumbers in the summer and I love yellow summer squash, in ratatouille or grilled. In a more or less lazy but hungry mood I combined both for lunches lately.

Using a mandoline, slicing a chunk of cucumber (about a 1/3 of a cucumber) and 1 medium sized summer squash into very fine slices, and dousing it with a vinaigrette of sweet rice wine vinegar, sunflower oil, salt, pepper and finely chopped chives from the garden. It is easy to make, refreshing for hot summer days, and a great mix of crunchy (cucumbers!) and soft and chewy (zucchini). The sweet and salty vinaigrette comes close to a German cucumber salad. I switch out the vinaigrette and make a (lazy) creamy sauce with Greek yogurt mixed with a tablespoon of home-made pesto. It is herby and garlicky, and comes close to a Greek tzatziki in a bowl.

cucumber_zucchini_salad

No comments:

Post a Comment