Saturday, August 6, 2016

Island Time, Part 2

If you missed Part 1, you can find it here.

We left off with leaving Camden and heading further south. Not too far from Blue Hill, a big bridge that reminds me of the Golden Gate bridge leads to Little Deer Isle.

stonington_me-1-7

stonington_me-1-19

From there, a short causeway got me onto Big Deer Isle. At this point all worries, obligations and responsibilities stayed behind on the mainland, and I felt the relief of island time. It reminds me of Greek islands, a soft warm wind blowing and the world is contained to a small piece of land that only really matters, where people know each other and live at a slower pace.

The winding roads lead through a secluded, private world of lobster fisher families in a beautiful landscape. With Sunday afternoon there was a feeling in the air that reminded me of  the opening scenes of “High Noon”. Empty streets, and people hidden in houses.  Stonington had a similar sleepy feel.

Stonington is a small village with a short stretch of main street. In recent years, it has added a new coffee shop, 44 North Coffee, and a handful of restaurants, Aragosta being the one I had heard of. Aragosta was between lunch and happy hour, but the Inn on the Harbor next door was open as espresso bar. This included access to chaises lounges on a beautiful deck. ….just what I needed after the long drive. Espresso with a view and a chaise.

stonington_me-1-21

stonington_me-1-22

stonington_me-1-24

stonington_me-1-25

stonington_me-1-27

stonington_me-1-28

stonington_me-1-29

stonington_me-1-30

stonington_me-1-32

stonington_me-1-16

stonington_me-1-36

stonington_me-1-9

stonington_me-1-8

stonington_me-1-13

stonington_me-1-11

stonington_me-1-46

stonington_me-1-49

stonington_me-1-2

stonington_me-1-5

The food at Aragosta was phenomenal, btw. Can’t wait to get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment