Friday, November 25, 2016

All the things we do not need

It’s black Friday. My friends can be divided into 2 camps: the Black Friday averse and the Black Friday enthusiasts. I admit I love dipping in the pool of deal snatchers, fighting for parking lots, riding on the high of everything on sale, for a day. Which is not quite true, because often the deals are available the entire week. But if you don’t dip into the mass hypnosis it is just half the fun. It’s like celebrating Christmas  a week late.

aa97c21a-1df7-40b5-8ed1-d95283ab53f0

Yesterday, a friend of the said Black Friday doomers shared a link of what to do instead of giving in to the grave addiction of consumerism. Since the stores were still closed, and I had nothing better to do, I started watching one of the BBC movies on youtube, The Century of the Self. I was remotedly interested because  once in a while I look worriedly at my lululemon habit, when I push that buy button again and eagerly await the new shipment of some cherry black sweatpants (my new favorite!).

lululemon black cherry high times oneness tank

Watching that movie gave me pause. According to the BBC movie, there once was a little man, called Edward Bernays, a nephew of Sigmund Freud, who single-handedly (as far as we can  believe the movie, but it is the BBC!) engineered convincing the American man and woman to transition from a working class, practical need-based shopper to the modern day consumer. “Make yourself happy, buy this sexy car, buy one for your wife!” That happened way back in the days of 1920. To keep the economy churning, people had to be convinced to buy on a regular basis and more than they need, even if the stuff they already owned for a task, was still perfectly fine. So, they dipped into the subconscious desires of people and suggested subliminally that they would be fulfilled if they associated with (buy!) this item, smoke this cigarette, drive this car, drink some coca cola. Hey, we all saw “Mad Men”, we know how this works.

coca-cola-hilltop-hed-2016

Now, I wonder which subliminal message Lululemon is sending me that I don’t even know, but they talk  to my subconscious directly and then I cannot stop buying more hoodies. I am defenseless!

Gotta go! It’s Black Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment